Today is the commemoration of J.K. Wilhelm Loehe, pastor. Born in Germany in 1808, Loehe was instrumental in the formation of the Lutheran church in the United States, though he would never actually come here himself. In the mid 19th century, German pioneers were desperate for pastors, and Loehe and his friends answered this cry for need by raising money, publishing church books and founding a school near Nuremberg to teach volunteers basic pastoral skills. The spiritual need was so great that these volunteers were sent half-trained, to begin their ministries while finishing their training on American soil.
He was devoted to Christian charity, which led to the establishment of a training house for deaconesses as well as homes for the aged. Loehe Hall (one of our classroom buildings here on campus) was named after him.