Life Devotion

Text: Psalm 139:1-12

Focus Verses: “Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence? If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there! If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me. If I say, ‘Surely the darkness shall cover me, and the light about me be night,’ even the darkness is not dark to you; the night is bright as the day, for darkness is as light with you.” (Verses 7-12)

We have all had those days, when nothing seems to be going the right way. Sometimes, these bad, chaotic days go on and on as the weeks turn into months or even years. All you want to do is crawl into bed, close the blinds to shut out all light, and pull the covers up tight around you. During these times, we may feel distant, not only from our friends and loved ones, but also from God. You just want to hide, run away, or even die, and you wonder, “Why would God love me? Does He even love me? Where is God?”

Psalm 139 reminds us God is always with us, watching over us. We cannot hide from Him, whether we soar through the clouds or go into the deepest, darkest depths of the sea. He holds us in His Hand. In our most problematic times, He will lead us out of the darkness into His marvelous light.

God does all this for us because He loves us so much, even when we feel we cannot be loved, that He came to earth and dwelt among us, taking on our sins and dying on the cross in our place. He is close by and wants a relationship with you. Being reconciled through Christ, we are no longer separated from God and have a renewed relationship with Him. Remember to turn all your cares and worries over to God in prayer. He loves you and will be with you through all the ickiness of your days.

Let us pray: Heavenly Father, You promise to be present and hold me in Your hand, even during my worst days. Remind me to turn to You at all times, but especially when I feel distant or burdened, so that I may be comforted and return to serving and praising You. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

(Kate Phillips, 2nd-Year Deaconess Student)