Life Devotion

Text: Psalm 141

Focus verse: “Do not let my heart incline to any evil, to busy myself with wicked deeds.” (Verse 4)

We seek after advice from loved ones and friends. These words can encourage you to do what is right and just, especially when the true Word of God is their foundation. At times, the words of others reach your ears and persuade you to say and do things against God’s guidance. You must be cautious that your heart does not pull you to immoral and unethical actions, as this psalm says in verse 4: “Do not let my heart incline to any evil, to busy myself with wicked deeds.”

These words are a prayer that God would guide your heart and mind to His righteousness and justice. The Lord knew we all would be tempted to turn from God and His good and gracious will. So when Jesus taught us how to pray, He gave to us these words: “lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.” In this portion of the Lord’s Prayer, God comes quickly to your aid so that you will find refuge in Him. In God’s love, even without our prayers, the Lord defends us from the words and temptation of evil people. Jesus, your Savior, has given you this knowledge, that by His passion on the cross He has conquered sin, death, and the devil. Have faith that if the Son can save you from death and the devil, He can save you from the temptation to sin. Abide in the words of God so that you might “pass by safely.”

Let us pray: Almighty God, You have victory through the Son and His death on the cross, over all the sins that plague me. With Your strong and mighty Word lead me away from the temptation to do the evil deeds of worldly men. Put in my heart Your words that I may be able to speak them and do what is right and just. And forgive me when I sin and do not do what God has instructed. I pray this in the Savior’s name, Jesus Christ. Amen.

(Adam McDowell, Sem IV)