Lent Devotion for March 9

Reading: 1 Peter 4:1–6

We are to arm ourselves with the mind of Christ. But what does that mean? Christ lived in obedience to His Father and did not flee from persecution; He suffered on the cross for the sins of the world. Peter tells us that we can expect the questioning of unbelievers who look at our lives and wonder, “Why do they do that?” They think it odd that we no longer live or act as they do. And it is good that they question it, for perhaps they may see Christ.

Our answer to such questioning is that we no longer are slaves to sin, but rather we are sons of the Father and, as such, we live in our Baptism. By daily contrition and repentance the old man is drowned and dies with all sins and evil desires, and a new man daily emerges and arises to live before God in righteousness and purity forever. They are dead, but we live—oblivious to their judgment and persecution (armed with the mind of Christ). Let us pray that they might see Christ and hear His call to repentance.

Prayer
Almighty and everlasting God, You desire none to perish—You sent Your Son that He would atone for our sins. Convict us of our sin, create in us new hearts, and forgive us for the sake of Your Son; through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.

Hymn
Oh, create a heart in me
That in Thee, my God, believeth
And o’er the iniquity
Of my sins most truly grieveth.
When dark hours of woe betide me,
In the wounds of Jesus hide me. (TLH 411:4)

Austin Meier (Sem II, CTSFW)