Advent Devotion

At whose dread name, majestic now,
All knees must bend, all hearts must bow;
All things celestial Thee shall own,
And things terrestrial, Lord alone.
(LSB 351 st. 4)
‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍‍
By myself I have sworn;
from my mouth has gone out in righteousness
a word that shall not return:
‘To me every knee shall bow,
every tongue shall swear allegiance.’
(Isaiah 45:23)

Advent is generally a cheery season as all anticipate the coming holiday of Christmas. Yet Advent not only reminds us of the first coming of Christ, it also prompts us to remember that Christ will come a second time—an occasion which will indeed be cheery for Christians but certainly not for all people. In Christ’s second advent, “All knees must bend, all hearts must bow” and that “to me [Jesus] every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear allegiance” (Isaiah 45:23).
‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍‍
The point being that we really don’t get a choice—no one gets a choice. On Judgement all will recognize Him as “Lord alone.” And while all will call Him Lord, not everyone will be very excited about it. His faithful believers most certainly will be, for we get to live in the new, perfect creation praising God forever. Yet those who did not believe will be subjected by the Lord of all to everlasting torment in hell. We should remember to thank God for his first advent in which He won for us salvation and eternal glory with His death upon the cross; for calling You to be a faithful believer in Him through His Word and Sacraments; and for His coming second advent when He will receive us into that eternal glory.
‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍‍
Let us pray: Returning Lord, thank You for coming Christmas morn, for calling me to faith, and for promising to come again. Always remind me that You will come again and keep me in the one true faith; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍‍
(Written by Rob Schrader, Sem II)