Life Devotion

Text: Psalm 39:1-5
‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍‍
Focus verses: “O Lord, make me know my end and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting I am! Behold, you have made my days a few handbreadths, and my lifetime is as nothing before you” (verses 4-5).
‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍‍
In our world today, it can be hard to remember that life is fragile and short. Yes, today there have been many advancements in the field of medicine that have increased life expectancy, but still we only live for 80, 90, or, at best, 100 years. As David writes, “Surely all mankind stands as a mere breath!”
‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍‍
The fragility of mankind becomes painfully obvious as one approaches the end of life. The hands that were once strong and able to work become weak and weary. The legs that were once able to walk and run for miles are now only able to shuffle from one side of the room to the other. As the end of our days approach, the devil and the world will attack, claiming that the lives of the elderly are not important. They will claim that they should end that life with dignity and extinguish that life before God can call them home in His own time.
‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍‍
In this psalm, David gives us an answer to how the Christian approaches their last few years upon this earth: in trust. We continue to trust in the Lord, for He has provided for us from the very beginning, and He has not forgotten His servants. While our lives here are very fleeting, we also know in whose hands that life is held, and we trust Him to care for that life.
‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍‍
Let us pray: Heavenly Father, you are the creator and sustainer of all life. Look upon the elderly and those near the end of life. Continue to care and sustain their bodily need until the time that You call them home to be with You. Through Jesus Christ, Your Son, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Ghost, one God, now and forever. Amen.
‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍‍
(Brian Homan, Sem II)