Life Devotion

Text: Psalm 39:6-13
‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍‍
Have you ever stopped to think, “Why am I so often miserable, while those who hate me seem to be full of riches and prosperity?” or, “Why is it that I am tormented by my sin and made to face the consequences? But when the godless sin, they often get off scot-free.”
‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍‍
The writer of Psalm 39 expresses the reality that we suffer because of our sin. We are chastised by God, disciplined by His hand. All the while, the ungodly build up for themselves riches and prosperity. But to what end? For we are mortal and all is vanity. Yet God teaches us wisdom by His rebuke and delivers us from our sin.
‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍‍
So in our affliction, we say with the Psalmist, “For what do I wait? My hope is in You. Deliver me from all my transgressions, do not make me the scorn of the fool!” “Hear my prayer, O LORD, and give ear to my cry; hold not Your peace at my tears!”
‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍‍
Are you convicted because you encouraged an abortion? Are you tormented because you considered abortion, or because you went through with it for yourself? Our transgressions are many, and whatever they are, God’s hand may be heavy against us to discipline our sin with rebukes. But in His mercy, He delivers us from these transgressions because of His gift of forgiveness, won by Jesus Christ in His death on the cross. In Him only is our hope and salvation.
‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍‍
Let us pray: Heavenly Father, You discipline us as a dear father disciplines his children. Teach us to remember that by this discipline You bring us back to our only Savior, Jesus Christ, to give us Your gift of forgiveness. In the same Jesus Christ, Your Son. Amen.
‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍‍
(Tanner Post, Sem II)